With that being said it is becoming more clear to me why God placed me here and now. There is a big CMDA medical conference going on in Nairobi this week. Doctors from all over Africa are attending. It is a really good time of renewal, learning and connecting for the physicians. Christina, the OBGYN doc that I told you about earlier is one of the people attending this conference. With her gone the load of the maternity ward has to be taken up by those still here. I am now in charge of rounding on the maternity patients in the morning, coming up with their daily treatment plans and discharging them when they are ready to go home. It is really great to feel like I can take some of the load off the other doctors and contribute in this way. I wanted to come here to learn, but also to serve and God has found a way to use this mere medical student to serve the other doctors here. This also helps to throw me into the world of the patients even more which gives me greater exposure to their needs and understanding of how to help. In between seeing OB patients I am also spending more time on the pediatric ward. This is really giving me the opportunity to see more and understand some very critical pediatric medicine in a third world setting. Pneumonia is really common here and it can become difficult to decide which patients need oxygen when only one tank is available or what antibiotics to give when the hospital has just run out of your first, second and third choice.
Late last week I was able to do my first breech c-section delivery and my first tubal. A friend of mine took pictures. I will have to upload them on the blog when I get back home. I cannot believe how much I am learning in such a short amount of time. Breech deliveries are something I am really hoping to get a lot of exposure to. We don't see them as often in the US and they are more difficult and have greater risk which makes them super important to learn and to learn well.
Getting ready to do a c-section with Dr. Christina (the OBGYN) before she left for Nairobi. Notice there is another case going on in the background. With only on operating room, if an emergency comes up we often just bring the second patient into the room and do the cases side by side.
Success!
I was on call last Friday night when there was a 2am c-section that needed to be done. The mother had ruptured her uterus, but thankfully we were able to get the baby out in time and both mom and baby are doing well. This mother has had 2 other c-sections which increases the risk of uterine rupture significantly. As of this point she has decided she still desires more children which makes me just take a big breath because she will likely rupture again and next time she and her baby may not be so lucky. There is so much of the culture here that I don't understand. This mother already has 5 children. I think I feel more confused than anything at times. I am learning to just accept whatever decision they make and support them through it knowing that I can't possibly understand all of the dynamics that go into their choice.
On Saturday I had the morning and afternoon off so my roommates, me and one of the surgical residents got up at 6am to climb Kipkanor. Kipkanor is a local mountain and landmark of the area. The view from the back of the house I am staying at frames it perfectly. It is a 14 mile hike round trip and you gain 2,500 feet in elevation. I was definitely sore the next day, but it was an incredible experience to walk through the forest and see the view from the top. My typical thoughts of Africa are usually dry, tall grass and hot savanahs. Our view of Africa on Saturday resembled more of a tropical forest with bamboo patches lining the trail.
Hiking the trail up to the top of Kipkanor...so beautiful!
Made it! Sitting at the top with my roommates Ariella and Amber.
On Sunday one of the nurses invited us to attend church with her. It was a little bit of a hike to get there, but I so much enjoy worshiping with Kenyans. Worship becomes a full body experience as every song is sung at the top of your lungs and is accompanied by dancing and hand motions. The children did a special song for us and my heart just warmed. The Lord loves these people so much and I can't imagine how much joy it must bring Him to have a whole group of poverty stricken children dressed in their "Sunday best" singing praises to Him. Sunday night the staff of the hospital got together for Bible study. What a special time. We sang worship songs together and then one of the doctors led the study. There are very few things I enjoy more than sitting around with a bunch of believers with one guitar and just singing the night away. Our God is so good.
Rhoda and I at the hospital. The hospital chapel is the building just behind us. Rhoda is the nurse that invited us to go to church with her.
Yesterday we had two intra-uterine fetal demises (IUFDs). The patients came to the hospitals and their babies were no longer alive. This is so common here, but still so difficult. The women still have to go through labor and deliver though they know that they will not be going home with a child. It makes my heart ache. One of these women had a transverse baby meaning that the baby was laying sideways which made the delivery even more difficult and painful. The OR ran out of anesthesia yesterday so c-section was really not an option. There was one patient we were going to induce yesterday because she is is much past her due date, but we ended up sending her home because if things did not go well and she needed a section we would not be able to help her unless we did her surgery under local anesthesia...painful for everyone. Helping the poor comes with challenges when the patients cannot pay their bills and thus the hospital cannot afford anesthetic. We are praying that more will arrive soon as it is supposed to be on its way, but must pass through a lot of red tape including taxes and government stops. I am praying that no emergency c-sections need to be done until then.
The community here at the hospital is amazing. Word got out that my birthday is on Thursday and they are already planning to have a party. I am so blessed. I was expecting for my birthday to completely pass me by and had in fact forgotten about it. Food and even ingredients for a cake are hard to come by, but the people are so generous. I cannot believe what they are planning. It will definitely be a day to remember and I cannot think of a better place to spend it.
Thank you all for your prayers. My family and I definitely need to be covered in them. Please continue to pray that God would use me, teach me and grow me.
Good Morning Kristen.
ReplyDeleteThe Lord is good, A stronghold in the day of trouble, And He knows those who take refuge in Him. Nahum 1:7. I will be praying. Your dad is in good hands. Stay strong. I can't believe all the medical experiences you are having.
Love ya. Dawn
Hi Kristen,
ReplyDeleteIt's been great reading your updates. Praying for you and your family.
Steve B (met at AIM orientation)
Hello Kristen,
ReplyDeleteWe are home. Daddy spent the day seeing several doctors, multiple labs and xrays. The next procedure will be performed soon.
Love, Mom
Hi Sweet Girl! :)
ReplyDeleteI am holding you, your dad, and family in my prayers. It sounds like you are having some AMAZING experiences! Praise God! I'm so excited for you and will continue to hold you (and your family) in my prayers!
Hugs! Hugs! Hugs!
Kate :)
Dear Kristen,
ReplyDeletePlease keep us updated on your dad's health and recovery. Even though you are far away, I'm sure your emails and calls are bringing your dad great joy.
I also wanted to wish you a very Happy Birthday!! Your friends in the hospital community sound amazing...I'm so glad they have something special planned for you!
I have loved reading every word of your posts. Thanks for keeping us all updated on your incredible Kenyan experiences! Stay safe, healthy, and bed-bug free!
Bre
Kristen,
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry to hear about your dad! I will definitely be holding him and your whole family in prayer.
It sounds like you are having an amazing time! and getting so much great experience. I too spent my birthday in Romania once and it was an unforgettable experience!
since I won't be there:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY OH LOVELY KRISTEN!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
Praying for you,
Jenn
Happy Birthday,Kristen! I am thankful that you are celebrating today. What a memorable birthday it will be!
ReplyDeleteLove, Mom
Happy Birthday Kristen! Have a great day.
ReplyDeleteLove and Prayers,
Chuck and Dawn
Kristen, God has planned another wonderful year for you! Jeremiah 29:11 Just wait and see!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday!
Have you seen any animals or birds?
Love, Grandma
Hello Kristen I was driving down the freeway with Brandon on our daily commute from UC Irvine on Feb 11 and it occurred to me it was your birthday. Happy belated birthday!
ReplyDeleteYour mom and dad arrived last nite Feb 12 to stay with us for the weekend as their house is being termite tented. Your Dad is amazing. They drove up straight from the hospital after having surgery. He does not show or tell of any pain. So glad your mom called. hope they can go to church with us tomorrow.Your mom was just telling us about the 5 year old boy with the leeches in his throat. Bet you won't see that in the US. We think you are terrific. I will give this blog address to Jenny. Love from your Aunt Lynn
Still praying! Love you!!!
ReplyDeleteHi Kristen!... I just got the website for your blog today. I was thinking about you lots on your birthday but didn't know how to get in touch to wish you a happy birthday. yeah for blogging! You're in our prayers. Hope you're doing well! Love ya,
ReplyDeleteJenny